The YMCA of Rock River Valley, in partnership with AmeriCorps, Rockford Housing Authority, The Community Action Agency serving Winnebago and Boone Counties, Lifescape Community Services and Northern Illinois Food Bank, is delivering food to several area housing developments. The COVID-19 shutdown has created barriers for many families to access food. Many local students who received their meals at school lost this service when the schools closed.
The Y is activating the YMCA Roger Reno Mobile Community Center to deliver meals. The Y is distributing food it had on-hand at its after school sites, along with an additional 2,000 pounds of food from the food bank. The below schedule will run on 3/23 and 3/24.
- 2:30-2:50pm Orton Keyes
- 3:00-3:20pm Blackhawk
- 3:30-3:50pm Fairgrounds
- 4:00-4:20pm Auburn Manor
- 4:30-5:00pm Concord Commons
On Wednesday, March 25, Lifescape Community Services will begin delivering 1,800 meals to the Y on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The Y mobile community center will deliver the meals to the following locations on those same days. Families will be given lunches and snacks to children 2-18 (children do not need to be present). When the parent/caregiver drive up, they will be asked how many children are in the home. If they say three, then they will be given six lunches and six snacks to last two days.
Below is the schedule starting March 25 and will then run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- SwedishAmerican Riverfront YMCA 11:00-11:40 200 Y Blvd., Rockford 61107
- Northwest Community Center 12:00-12:40 1325 N. Johnston Ave., Rockford 61101
- Salvation Army 1:00-1:40 210 N. Kilburn Ave., Rockford 61101
- The Grove (New Towne) 1:20-1:40 690 S. New Towne Dr., Rockford 61108
- Mulford Park Apartments 1:50-2:10 444 Gramercy Dr., Rockford 61107
- Ken-Rock Community Center 2:00-2:40 3218 11th Street, Rockford 61109
- Orton Keyes 2:30-2:50 633 Ranger St., Rockford 61109
- Blackhawk Housing 3:00-3:20 330 15th Ave., Rockford 61104
- Fairgrounds 3:30-3:50 1015 W. Jefferson St., Rockford 61101
For further information, please contact us at our call center at 815-489-1252 Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further details are posted on the YMCA website at www.rockriverymca.org/foodresources.
About the YMCA
The YMCA of Rock River Valley is a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y serves 48,000 people through six area branches and is one of the largest nonprofit employers in the greater Rockford area, with over 600 full and part-time staff.